Clicky

sgtdub

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

04 December 2007, Well, I just keep changing uniforms. Yesterday ended my week on the streets and today I'm in the classroom getting Army training. The weekend went pretty good. I worked a car accident Sunday morning. I always have issues trying to figure out how someone has an injury accident in the middle of a residential street at 1030 in the morning on a Sunday, but someone made it happen. The driver of the vehicle hit a parked car. I spoke with the owner of the parked car asking him for his identification and insurance information. This is required for the accident report as well as the guy getting his car fixed by the other driver. Well, he was Hispanic, which isn't a problem for me. He tells me he doesn't speak English, still not a problem. I'm not fluent in Spanish but I am capable of getting vital information and relaying some commands. I asked him for his identification in Spanish, surely this will work, right? No, he still doesn't understand me. [As an officer I deal with a lot of Hispanic people on a daily basis. My views on the illegal immigration in this country are simple. I understand why you would want to come here to live, but if you came here because of what we offer don't try to change it to be what you came from, you left for a reason. I don't understand that small population of male immigrants who just seem to want to work enough to buy beer and stay drunk, why bother exerting this much energy to come here when you could do that where you came from?] I turn around and exclaim, "How can you not understand English or Spanish?" Well, I'm finally able to get things done and move on to my next call.
Be safe and have a great day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was you speaking Okie spanish to him or his version of spanish.

Anonymous said...

Was that a soap box or what.

Desert Songbird said...

Excellent points there, D. I try to be compassionate, but knowing how my parents sacrificed to immigrate here legally, it's difficult at times.

Wade Huntsinger said...

Good talking to you the other day. I hope by now you have power back. As I thought about what you said, perhaps the TV was too much or did you just run out of gas?

Wade Huntsinger said...

Hey buddy, about an update or something, sir