Clicky

sgtdub

Thursday, June 23, 2011

23 June 2011,
Life in Bagram. When you have limited opportunities to do things and you have 30,000 + people living in a confined area, well, it makes life interesting. I know I need to go to the gym which is across the street from my office. However, just slightly larger than a single tennis court I estimate no less than 100 people attempting to get on the next piece of equipment at any given time of the day (that I'm up). I can only imagine that at 03:00 in the morning you will still find a large number of folks in there.
The sun gets up around 04:00 in the morning and sets around 8pm. I knew this from my previous deployments but am still amazed when you go to the showers at 05:00 in the morning and it looks like 10 am already.
I did manage to get started on homework, completing two assignments and turning one in. I hope to continue this trend and get caught up quickly. Still waiting on my other book.
I'm hoping to get cable news ran into our office so I can see what's going on. I spend about 15 minutes in the DFAC (dining facility) but the volume is off and it's not enough time to determine what's going on in the world. President Obama's speech does directly affect us but to what extent is hard to say. They, (you know, 'them') can no longer surprise me. I laugh at the comment I made a couple months ago to my soldiers about how I couldn't guarantee that we would even be going to Afghanistan let alone where in Afghanistan they would be and even before we left the states two of our Battalions were pulled for Operation New Dawn in Kuwait. I didn't have any inside information, just know how to read the tea leaves.
Not much else to report at the moment, I'm waiting on Mrs Dub so we can skype. Isn't it the coolest. Each deployment just improves on certain issues,(and dissolves on others).
Be safe and have a great day!

2 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

wow 40K, at least their is safety in numbers, services, not so good with that many people.

Desert Songbird said...

Hoping you come home sooner rather than later. And yes, Skype is a wonderful thing. My husband just returned from working in California for two months, and Skype is how the kids were able to "see" there dad. It was a blessing.