Clicky

sgtdub

Monday, March 19, 2007

20 March 2007,
SOAP BOX ALERT.
Yesterday was the anniversary of the start of the Iraqi War. I saw quite a bit of coverage on the number of deaths of American military personnel. In the 4 years of the war the total showed yesterday at 3202. Each death has meaning, but I thought I would compare that number to some others.

World War I We entered the war late but the number of deaths for American soldiers was 116,708 with 205,690 wounded.

World War II. The total American loss for the five years of conflict we withstood was 407,300 dead.

Korean War. 36,516 dead, 103,000 wounded, 8,142 MIA

Vietnam War. 58, 209 of our finest dead, 153,303 wounded.

Now some information for a couple of years in which the War on Terrorism has been unfolding in our lives. These statistics were gathered from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I shall only include the age brackets of 21-44 as this covers the average age bracket of our military sector, the 18-21 group also included 16-18 so I did not want to use those numbers.
In 2003.
Motor Vehicle Accidents 17,767
Homicide 10,370
Suicide 13,679
Accidental Poisoning 10,886
Heart Disease 17,483
Malignant Neoplasms 20,045
Chronic Liver Disease 3,020
Stroke 3,043
Diabetes 2,049
HIV 7,059

The total American lives lost in these 10 ten causes is 105,401. In all ages motor vehicles killed 43,340 in the United States.
In 2004, 4,008 people died riding motorcycles in the United States, just a part of the 38,253 deaths on American roads and highways, while in 2005 4,315 were killed in motorcycle accidents.
The economic cost of traffic crashes per year since 2000 was estimated at 230.6 billion dollars. For the four years of the war that cost us $922.4 billion dollars, because Americans want to speed, run traffic control devices, and drive while being impaired.
Alcohol realted fatalities in 2004 was 16,694 and 2005 was 16,972.
Pedestrian deaths for 2004 and 2005 are 4,641 and 4,674.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta stated that 55 % of passenger vehicle occupants who died in2005 were not wearing their seat belts. That equate to 15,000 people a year. Were was the March on state and national capitals this weekend for the use of seat belts? Were is the outcry against tanning? The outreach for those who committed suicide?
Wikipedia was used as the source for the war numbers and NHTSA was used for the rest.
Despite all this, I still want you to be safe and have a great day.

24 comments:

MrsDub said...

Honey, did you get any sleep at all last night? Very good blog - eye opening! I noticed on the sidewalk outside our building that someone has done chalk signs that are all anti-war. Good thing it's chalk - it's going to rain today. We love you and we miss you! Not much longer now:}

M@ said...

It's true that we have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Callie Ann said...

well Said Sgt Dub. Now Rosie Odonnell loves to spout numbers. You should send these numbers to her to spout. Her blog is www.rosie.com. there is a spot for questions. I want to see if she does anything with this post. If your to busy let me know and I will do it for you. Stay safe,
Callie

Ron Simpson said...

outstanding statistics. Thanks. BTW, I wish you could have gone to Dallas last weekend. I would rather have you here than there, but I understand why you are there.

SGTDUB for Congress.

MrsDub said...

I finally updated my blog, and it's regarding the fact that you just had to purchase your own boots!!!

Anonymous said...

You go Son; Love MOM

Desert Songbird said...

You REALLY need to get some sleep, SgtDub! I can only imagine how intent you were while writing and researching this post.

Very thought-provoking and puts everything into proper perspective.

Mimi Lenox said...

Take care, SGT. There are a lot of people who care about you and depend on you!

Sandee said...

Really puts things into perspective. Thank you for ensuring my freedom.

Gene Bach said...

Come on now Sgt. Dub, you don't want to confuse the issues with facts do you? If people look at those things they won't have anything with which to lie about.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

what about the war of northern agression sir?

smiles, bee

ps: GREAT post today!

Maryfly said...

wow - very informative, great post! stay safe

Rock said...

Sgt, this is a wonderful job of research. I salute you for putting things in perspective. It shows that everything is perception. You are so right. You don't minimalize the casualties in our war, but you demonstrate that the portrayal of all this is out of whack.

Thank you very much, and keep up the good work.

Truth—The No Spin Politically Incorrect Zone
Rock

Odat said...

Well..there are some who are against those things you mentioned and do protest them...but they don't make the news because it doesn't make money...nor can one blame a politician for it.....
Stay safe....
Peace

Linda said...

I love it when you get up on your soapbox because you make some excellent points!

Sadly, though, people only hear what they want to hear and right now most of them want to hear about "how bad the war is" - especially the politicians.

Unknown said...

This is really Bill but Sadie agrees with me.

We, and I speak for myself and my family, all want to thank you. We hate to see it as much as anybody but it has to be done. They want us to pull out of Iraq but if we do there will be a blood bath like Vietnam or worse. Then they will be over here.

If you can get a bead on Osama make it count.

Again thank you and all the rest that are over there.

Keep your head low.

God Bless America and God bless our service personnel.

Bill

Sarge Charlie said...

Please stop by my place an pick up your "THINKING BLOG" award.

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

Very informative Sgt... thanks....

Stay safe and remember prayers go up every night for all our brave service men and women.

Sarge Charlie said...

Just got back to read your post, wow, we got lots of reasons to march on Washington, I think we should organize the Million man march, stop driving and save lives, lets cut and run from Detroit, ban Harley Davidson, that should go over real good. Walk to save lives,
NO MORE HEART DISEASE, maybe we can get Hanoi Jane to lead the March.

OK I am off the soap box, good post dub, stay safe.

Sarge Charlie said...

Miss bee tells me you were awarded two THINKING BLOG AWARDS. You are the real hero......

Cathy said...

Wow, this is a great post. It certainly puts it in perspective.

Hope you can get some rest. Stay safe!

Amazing Gracie said...

As I started to write this, Osama's ugly mug popped up in the "Never Forget" tribute, and I watched it again for the 1,000th time! I've got it on my blog, too. People have forgotten what happened. We're so complacent! We are so addicted to gossip (Britney Spears and Anna Nicole), and the Hollywood crowd (who gives a rat's patootie?)!
Yes, I care about every one of you who are in service and I ask God's blessings on each and every one of you! My county just lost our 13th man last week and every life was precious.
But as your statistics show, the left is using this for their own political purpose.
Now, are you ready to take on Algore?
~~~Blessings~~~

Anonymous said...

You sound just like my son comparing the war deaths to other deaths. The numbers on the net are lacking I think because calualties and injuries are way higher now. It is horrid to see these young men and women with no leg, an arm missing, blind, etc from being hit by IED's. But you are right, other deaths add up way higher by other means. I purposely did not do an anniversary post yesterday. I just don't feel this is something to commemorate. Take care, stay safe.

Whirlwind said...

Great post. Husband and I saw that news article and were commenting on it as well (along the same lines as you posted).