Clicky

sgtdub

Friday, October 27, 2006

27 October 2006, It's Friday, YEAH! Of course, it's just another day here in Afghanistan. Our last deployment we fell into Ground Hog Day at about month 5. It seemed like it would never end. Then, it hit me. (Of course, lots of things hit me, but this was the solution!) All I had to do was get Andie MacDowell to fall for me, then all this would end. Of course, where was I gonna find Andie in Afghanistan? So we continue.... Then one day I was at the chow hall (they prefer DFAC or dining facility). I looked at the TV and they were showing the movie Ground Hog Day with Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. I say to the guy next to me, "Wow, they are showing us our movie" he looks at me and says, "yeah, it's Ground Hog Day." Oh, well, that would explain it. Well, it's not quite that bad during this trip, but we are still in the early stages.
I made it to the gym for a second time this week. Long hours have pretty much wiped any energy I might have had out of me, so the motivation has been tougher. LTC Y told me to go with him, and of course, we had to pass by the ping pong table to get there, so, you guessed it, we played ping pong first. Now, we played a couple of days ago and it was then that I learned he had been practicing more. If you remember, I said I was able to score double digits on him in all three games, and he took that as a sign that he needed to hone his skill a little more. You know, you can only beat up on the uhmmm, ping pong challenged kid so many times before he starts getting better. Anyway, he is back on top and I only managed a high of 9 points in any of the three games. As he is feeling pretty good about himself now, we head to the gym. Now, he wants to play basketball. (Yes Sir, anything you want sir). Did I mention he was a basketball star back in day. Yeah, it wasn't pretty either, good thing he only has one good arm. After 45 minutes of inhumane torture ( can I use that term in a war zone?) I went to lift weights. I weighed in tonight at 239 lbs, so with that I went to the chow hall (DFAC) and celebrated with a Baskins Robbins ice cream sundae.
Lastly tonight, I would like to welcome some new readers that have now put me coast to coast in the blogging world. Thank you Charlie and Empress Bee, a retired couple living it up in Florida. Charlie is also a veteran and my sincere thanks goes out to them both. Rock and Douglas V Gibbs are on the west coast in California. Next.......world domination. I never had the intent to be read other than those back home, but it's nice to meet new people and build the support. Thank you to everyone, love ya.
Be safe and have a good day.

4 comments:

MrsDub said...

Don't let all the attention go to your head. As your wife, it's my job to keep you grounded (and I think I do it really well). Miss Dub's report card is OUTSTANDING - all honors courses and she's got all A's and one B! Kuddos to her -- must be your Genes, because I don't think she got it from me. It will be interesting to see what your algebra grade is. Keep up the good work at the gym (Vin Diesel) I'm sure you're looking very "hunky"!! Be safe and pace yourself on the Baskin Robbins - LUVU

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

aw now wasn't that just the sweetest thing ever? thank you for the warm welcome. charlie will be along a bit later i am sure, a poker tournament was calling his name. he's really pretty good at it too, i think all that military training gave him good poker skills....

you take care and be safe, ya hear? oh, and if it's not too much trouble, i like my blogger reads to post a little more often. know what i mean? (smile)
bee......

Anonymous said...

And Mom said i am looking forward to the CD; i really love that guy. Oh and i am going to the gym also we're going to be so beautiful, one of these days. Love you LOTS MOM

Anonymous said...

Now I just got to tell you I have a problem with Al Gore for not inventing this internet thing during the Vietnam years. This is truely too cool Sarge. I assume that is a letter from your mother and wife, I like to read your mail. Oh, the Dixie Chicks have a movie now, would you like to replace "Groundhog Day". The Chicks are somewhere near Hanoi Jane Fonda in my list of favorite people.

Our standard working day was 12 hours per day 7 days per week in Vietnam, are you guys doing that? You know we love you guys and cannot start to thank you enough for what you are doing. Be safe my friend.