Clicky

sgtdub

Saturday, July 08, 2006

08 July 06, Another day in Afghanistan is over. Although it was very quiet here in the capital city of Kabul (and that's the way we like it), it was none the less here. I'm ready to get back to my family, buy my horse, build my arena, and enjoy riding. Of course, by the time I get home to do all that, the girls will probably be tired of them by then. Let's hope not. I guess I could always check into buying a horse here. Do you think the Camp would let me have one here? Nope, me either. I had the same problem with the city, they wouldn't let me bring my scout car with me.
Everyone's been wanting to know what the tempature here has been like. Well, today is typical of every other day during the summer. It got to 97, warm yes, but less than 20% humidity. And this is much better than Kandahar were they sit in the shade at 111. All I need is a beach, a couple of waves and surf board to hurt myself on. Wheeeeee! Now, a couple of blogs ago I mentioned one of my goals for this deployment was to loose some weight and get in shape. I have been working out to some degree, but the Mississippi crud I got back in the states is still lingering and with the wonderful fresh air here it hadn't gotten any better. I'm taking this week off to try and recoup. I went to the doctor last Thursday. He decided to show the young female medic how to do a more thorough exam. (not that thorough!!) He had me open my mouth, looked at my gums and exclaimed "See his gums, he chews tobacco." I said "No, I've never done tobacco." He then points to a curious looking "growth" on my gums and exclaims that there must be something to that for it to look like it does. I again had to interrupt his monologue to tell him that was a skin graft from when I was 10 years old and had bad gums. Having burst his bubble in front of his young apprentice, he recovers with, "Well, we have saved many soldiers by checking them out, you never know when you might be able to catch cancer early." Well, thanks doc! With that out of the way, he says we need to get back to why I was there to start with. Great idea! I knew I should have finished college earlier. Well, I'm still going to try and knock that out while I'm here too.
I hope everyone out there stays safe and has a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you still have the crud. I hope that you feel better soon! Those temperatures don't sound to bad. Much better than here with the 90% humidity we've had! I had to laugh at your horse comment. It reminded me of M*A*S*H and Colonel Potter's horse Sophie. If you do get a horse, don't get an Arabian! Those things are crazy. I almost had one kill me a month ago! Well, stay cool, stay safe, and feel better soon!